Thursday, December 10, 2009

Resources

The problem with being the last person to share my resources is that you guys took all the good ones! :-)

I know we do not all live in Bloomington, Indiana, but let me just tell you, we have a fantastic library here. Even if you don't live here, and don't have access to the physical library (although you're missing out, because Pat, the children's librarian, is rad. She gave me my first library card, in 1987, and she remembers my name to this day!), you can still access its awesome website. The website is easy to navigate, comprehensive, and full of great ideas for children's trade literature selections. Even when I lived in Portland, I still used this website when compiling book lists for freelance assignments. In their booklists section, they have titles organized by award winners (Caldecott, Newbery, ALA, etc.), as well as great lists developed by the library's children's librarians: Too Good to Miss, If you liked Harry Potter..., If you can't find Waldo..., Not Too Scary Stories, and All Kinds of Families are some of my faves.

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/booklists/children_booklists.html

In my search for outstanding websites and other resources, I came across Rad Library - a collection of mostly vintage books with interest...maybe...driven by illustration, type, graphics, and lastly, content (http://radlibrary.blogspot.com). It's awesome and fun and you should check it out. It's an interesting reminder of the aesthetic aspects of trade literature!

1 comment:

  1. Lana, thanks so much for promoting the Monroe County Library - what a way to talk up a local resource.

    ReplyDelete