Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A great YA book (or one for adults who like teen books!)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
In Graceling, Cashore has created a feudal world with an interesting infusion of magic. Some people in this world are born with a grace which is an extreme, magical talent. The main character’s grace is fighting and killing people. She was fostered to her uncle, the local overlord, who used her as a bully to keep the peasants and farmers in line. The crux of the story begins when she escapes her uncle’s influence and begins to establish her own identity, including how she will use her grace for good, rather than for bullying. I particularly enjoyed this YA novel because of the ways in which the main character works to disrupt the cultural gender stereotypes in her world. While I read this book for my own reading pleasure, not because I can use it in my elementary teaching context, I believe that middle and high school readers would relate to the teen characters in the book.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good. My daughter has got me hooked the Warrior Cat series, but when I've read them all I'd be up for that.She's reading at middle school level, but is only 7; do you think it would be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Graceling yet - although my 10 year old has recommended it to me. Susan - I think that its appropriateness for your daughter is really a function of her interest and developmental level. I was reading Stephen King (and Erica Jong - although my parents didn't know about that one) at 10. So ymmv.

    I love books that have a twist on the traditional gender roles. And the message that a former bully (or anybody really) can choose to make their own identity is powerful.

    I'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will have to go on my "to read" list! Sounds very exciting and adventurous. What age group do you think that this targets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good alternative for girls who don't want to read the typical "girly" girl book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I'm slow to respond to my own posting. (I've also read at least two more books that I want to write posts about, but haven't gotten around to it!)

    Susan, as Heather said...you make the call. Graceling is probably about 2x longer than the Warrior Cat books that I've seen. Also, the main character is a human, not a critter, so there may be emotional issues that are tricky. I think near the end she develops an adult relationship with a young man. I wouldn't have a qualm about my upper elementary kids reading it, but I just don't know about the emotional maturity of your 7 year old. My gut says it's probably okay. I'd much rather give her this than Twilight!

    Carmen, Graceling is marketed as a YA (young adult) book - generally this is accepted to mean middle school up to college & beyond. I find that most of the reading I do for pleasure is drawn from the YA market.

    Faith & Heather, definitely a twist for girls. However, I'd also say this is good for boys - enough adventure to keep them interested, while also exposing them to new ideas on gender roles and stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband makes fun of me all the time becasue I also like books from the YA makret. There is usually a much deeper underlying issue in these sort of books, while in "adult" books the issues are out in the open (at least I think so).

    ReplyDelete