Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bully Books

Hello L559! I have been meaning to share these books with you all but I've been so busy that I've left it on the back-burner! With that said, I'm so sorry it's taken this much time to do this. I hope that some of you in L559 will see these books as I really liked them all and I thought they were each relevent as well as important for our students. So, I've listed them below and I've included a picture to each book. Enjoy and please take the time to check these books out!



"The Recess Queen", written by Alexis O'Neill and illustrated by Laura Huliska-Beith, is a book about bullies on the playground during recess which seems to be getting worse.



"The Bully Blockers Club" is written by Teresa Bateman and illustrated by Jackie Urbanovic. What I liked about this story was how the students who were bullied came together and "stood up" to the bullies in their classroom and formed a club in order to support each other. I also liked the positive aproach the author used when describing the actions of the students who were bullied as opposed to having them physically fight back.



"Eddie Longpants" is written by Mireille Levert and is also one of the books Margaret listed on the syllabus.



"Trouble in the Barkers' Class" is written by Tomie DePaola. I thought the author's point of view was interesting with the new student considered the bully as opposed to the new student being bullied.



"Oliver Button is a Sissy" is also written by Tomie DePaola. I also like the author's point of view with the young boy being the "bullied" student.

Ultimately, I think it's important for us (the educator) address the issues of bullying especially with all the recent headlines pertaining to bullying. Bullying is usually something that is acknowledged but rarely thoroughly studied within our school corporation, classroom, and even our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment