Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler


This book is amazing. I remember my mother-in-law talking about this book when she first read the ARC (advanced reading copy). When my husband turned into a prune in the tub, I knew that I'd have to tackle it, even though the topic is hardly fitting for a holiday break - I had a sense that it would be work to read. So far from the truth...

Kessler pulled me into Lisabeth's world in just a few pages, seamlessly moving between "all-American suburbia" and scenes with the Horsemen of the Apocolypse: Famine, War, Death, and Pestilence. Through her position as Famine, Lisabeth is able to find her own inner strength, setting her on a path to acknowledge and battle the anorexia that she hadn't yet acknowledged when she became Famine. Finally, Kessler's writing packs a punch - in relatively few pages for a YA novel, she uses poetic description and vivid images to make the reader feel what Lisabeth feels.
As I said in another review, one power of YA fantasy is the ability to tackle problems from our world in a new way. Kessler's novel is compelling and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment