Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens

The book that I would like to share is "Tops and Bottoms" by Janet Stevens.  This book is a trickster tale.  The tale is about a rabbit who lost a bet with a tortoise which resulted in the rabbit selling his farmland to the bear next door.  This was not just any ol' bear, but a very lazy bear.  The bear's father had been a very hard worker; however, the only thing this bear wanted to do was to sleep.  The tale goes on about how the rabbit tricks the bear into getting his land back - the bear chooses if he want the "tops" or the "bottoms" of crops that the rabbits plant.  It is a very funny book.  The book is also very unique because it is read from "top to bottom."  Unlike books that open from the side and are read from left to right, this book opens at the top and is read from top to bottom.  I think the uniqueness of this book will capture the attention of many students, it is well suited for students in grades 1-3.

Tops & Bottoms (Caldecott Honor Book)

3 comments:

  1. I love the artwork in this book - it's so lighthearted and humorous. I had the opportunity to hear Janet Stevens talk about her artwork at a conference several years ago and found it fascinating. Since I'm not an artist myself, I enjoy hearing folks talk about the process of creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules,
    I have not read this book before but am looking forward to it. I think maybe, since I haven't read it yet, you could use this book as a read aloud and minilesson for intermediate students on how authors use the format and structure of text to convey meaning, tone, or mood. I think it's cool when students use those sorts of techniques they see from their favorite writers (darkening of letters comes to mind). Thanks for the resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was searching for! Bilingual Books for Kids

    ReplyDelete