Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Hi Everyone,
The book that I would like to share, which you may already be familiar with, is Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. I really enjoy reading this book to my students at the beginning of the year, especially to younger students. It is about a squirrel who is perfectly content living a safe squirrel life with his safe daily routine. He provides readers with a list of the many things he's scared of...which is ok until he is confronted with one of his most feared enemies. He then learns that he can handle any situation and even changes up his routine a little. I really enjoy this book because it is funny. I think students can relate to it, especially the first week of school, because they may be nervous about meeting a new teacher and new classmates and leaving the comfort of their summer vacation and home. I thought there was only one book, but as I read it to students each year, they informed me that there are a few other "Scaredy Squirrel" adventures. I have read one or 2 others and they are equally funny and entertaining. I hope you get the chance to read it...I know you'll enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Nina,
    This sounds like a great book to read at the beginning of the school year. I think that many students could relate to the story. It would be a good opportunity for students to share how they are feeling.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete