Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale, By Mo Willems

Taking the advice of an article that we read for class this week, I chose a book that a class of first graders that I subbed for just loved rather than a favorite of mine.
The book that they were so anxious for me to read was called Knuffle Bunny:  a cautionary tale.  This is the first in a series of books.  The next book is Knuffle Bunny Too, and the last is Knuffle Bunny Free.  I could not wait to read the book to the class to see what their excitement was all about.  What I discovered was that anyone who has ever had a favorite toy as a child will be able to identify with these books, thus the popularity for both children and parents.  The illustrations, which are photographs with cartoon characters superimposed on them, are very captivating to the audience.  The first book in the series is about a little girl named Trixie who goes to the laundry mat with her father.  Before leaving Trixie tries to tell her father that her stuffed bunny is missing but he mistakes her babbling for being fusy.  Upon arriving at home the mother discovers that Trixie's stuffed bunny is  missing.  They return to the laundry mat and upon finding the stuffed bunny Trixie screams, "Knuffle Bunny!"  Those were the first words that Trixie had ever spoken.
I'm not sure if I would have chosen this book on my own as it seemed a little juvenile for first graders.  I'm glad that I took the advice of the students to read it.  It was a cute story and now I can't wait to read it to another class!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jules,
    I have this book in my picture book library, but I have not read it yet. I saw that it was an award winner so I purchased it. I also enjoy other books written by Mo Willems. I'm glad to hear it is such a great book. I look forward to reading it myself and then sharing it with my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo Willems is a hit with my first graders. I enjoy his books too! They are great to use for mentor texts during writer's workshop. Who can't relate to losing their favorite stuffed animal, blanket, etc. at one point or another? Knuffle Bunny is a perfect book to read when introducing students to text-to-self connections.

    ReplyDelete