Thursday, February 10, 2011

Town Mouse Country Mouse By: Jan Bret


The first thing that caught my attention about this book was the phenomenal illustrations. My kindergartner pores over this book looking at the rich pictures. It is the classics tale of the country mouse and city mouse that switch places. They think that the grass will be greener elsewhere and quickly regret their decision. The children love the ending of this book. The country mouse has no idea what a cat is and the city mouse has no idea what an owl is. This stemmed a great conversation as to why the city mouse called the owl a cat with wings and why the county mouse called the cat an owl without wings. It ends with the mice scurrying back to where they came from and the cat deciding to switch places with the owl.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    This book looks really enjoyable. I was thinking of having students work on a book study and Jan Brett is one of the authors I was considering. I am starting to see that she has more and more books, instead of the 3 I was familiar with-thanks for the resource. In social studies we are talking about the differences among rural, urban, and suburban areas. This might be a great read aloud to supplement the social studies lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I love the story, Town Mouse Country Mouse. I remember reading it to my children when they were younger. I think the title was a bit different though, City Mouse Country Mouse. I have not seen Brett's version, but am familiar with many of her other books. My students enjoy the format of her books. Hopefully our school library has a copy and I can read this to them.

    ReplyDelete