Sunday, April 18, 2010

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs





The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs (Reprint) (Paperback)
Author: Jon Scieszka
Edition: Reprint (1996-03) Other editions Publisher: Puffin Books Paperback: 32 pages

I love this book!!! It just makes me smile to read the title. By A. Wolf??? Who wouldn't laugh at that? I believe that this book brings the lesson that there are two sides to every story to just about any age group. For the very young reader it would be best to read the book to them and then prompt with questions and for the more advanced reader I believe that they can get the message on their own. I also like that the book does not really try to address the fact that there is another version of this story out there, just acknowledges it and then tells the story from the wolfs perspective. A great read for any classroom and easily adaptable.


.

4 comments:

  1. I remember loving this story as a kid and my interest was renewed a few weeks back when I read it again. There is an interesting genre of these types of books out there that can start meaningful discussions with children. I can't remember the name of the book, but a Cinderella written by a SW Indian tribe is a fascinating story that has many implications on culture and differing values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love introducing different perspectives to students. We can do this with so many different books. I think that the 3 little pigs is a great start to talking about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this book, so thanks. What Casimer said about the Cinderella book is also very cool. I'm sure if you look for them you can find books that take a classic story, such as Cinderella, and make it for different cultures. Kids should have the opportunity to view the books they read differently, especially when mos of them are about beautiful, caucasian people. the world is full or all differnt kinds of folks (little-big, etc). Thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book and I have heard that there are others along similar lines with other classic tales that I have must recently heard of. I just really appreciate the underlying message that there are two sides to every story. Or at least two opinions;)

    ReplyDelete