Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Children's Book Council - http://www.cbcbooks.org/

Since I am not an avid reader of children's books, I don't have much of a clue about what books are good for kids or what they will enjoy, which is exactly why I love book lists. Although The Children's Book Council charges membership dues for access to certain resources, lists of books are free. And The CBC has a plethora of lists. The one I particularly enjoy is the Children's Choice Project list. This list is the result of what children actually think about the books they have read. Every year about 12,500 school children read newly published books and vote on what books they liked the best. I like this list because it is created by kids, but the CBC also has lists created by experts for kids. These 'expert' lists are are notable social studies books, outstanding science books, and seasonal books. The lists are massive and date back over ten years. For someone like me, the website is great. I am sure that it will also be useful for anyone looking to find quality children's or young adult books.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to check out the site with my daughter. What a great resource for both adults and kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casimer,
    I haven't read too many kids books either but... my colletion is steadily growing. I think that this web site along with the read kiddo read one will really be helpful when helping children find books that they will be interested in and to help build a classroom library.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete