Monday, February 8, 2010


This story make me laugh out loud! Thomas outsmarts and outmaneuvers his mother, his teacher, and his principal as they attempt to make him get into his snowsuit. Anyone who has ever been charged with clothing an unwilling child, or has been an unwilling child, can relate to this story. The visual images Robert Munsch creates in the mind of the reader are hilarious. “So the principal picked up Thomas in one hand and he picked up the teacher in the other hand, and he tried to get them back into their clothes. When he was done, the principal was wearing the teacher’s dress, the teacher was wearing the principal’s suit, and Thomas was still in his underwear.” Thomas' Snowsuit reminds me that sometimes adults try to make things too difficult and the best solution might be to simply think like a child!


Check out two more of my Robert Munsch favorites, Stephanie's Ponytail and The Paperbag Princess. As you begin to read his books, you will start to notice his subtle, yet identifyable writing style, which includes a creative use of repetition and lots of dry humor!

3 comments:

  1. I love the reminder to remember the absurdity of life. I look forward to reading this book. thank you for the reminder about the Paper Bag Princess a story I heard about several years ago and have been meaning to read. I also want me daughter to its message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great message in Stephanie's Ponytail too! Especially for girls! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    I really have to check this out!!!I had a text-to-movie experience. I just really had the visual of the little boy in the Christmas Story while reading your Blog!! Souds very entertaining and humerous!!!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete