Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When You Reach Me (posted by Margaret)

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

In this first person narrative, Miranda, a sixth grader faces a series of questions. Will her mother win as a contestant on the T.V. game show The $20,000 Pyramid? More confusing though, what happened to the spare apartment key that had been hidden in the fire hose in the hall? Where are these spooky notes coming from? Why won't Miranda's best friend talk to her anymore? As Miranda tells her story, she weaves in tantalizing bits from L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, her favorite book. At every turn, the reader is drawn ever more deeply into the fantastic and fantastical mystery.

I have heard both positive and mediocre reviews of this book - including the strong recommendation from the Newbery committee which award this book the highest honor for elementary literature! In part because the reviews were so different, and in part because it won the Newbery, I decided to read this novel. I found that the plot sucked me in, whirled me around, and then transported me somewhere I hadn't expected. While geared for upper elementary and middle school students, this would be an appropriate book for younger students who read well. Also, the plot turns and physics twists would lead to great conversations. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I will put this on my "to read" list for when I complete my masters! Working in an elementary school, there is always a lot of drama with the upper grade girls, which sometimes I am quick to dismiss. It sounds like this book would be a good reminder for anyone working with kids on a daily basis that the drama we may trivialize is very real and all-consuming to kids. Dismissing their struggles in an attemp to get them to focus on their education seems, at best, counter productive! Thanks for the review!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete