Sunday, February 7, 2010

Esperanza Rising - Pam Munoz Ryan


Pam Munoz Ryan has written a high accessible, yet remarkably layered, deep novel about the riches to rags life of Esperanza. Born the daughter of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner, Esperanza is forced to grow up a Mexican farm laborer in California after a serious of tragic events. The mexican proverb that opens the book explains what is learned throughout her journey: "the rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich." Esperanza grows through a variety of struggles and hard luck and eventually rises about her situation. More than just a tale of one girl, Esperanza Rising wonderfully depicts the lives of farm workers during the great depression. As a son of a union organizer I particularly interested in the authors depiction of the difficult decision, to strike or continue struggling for meager conditions, that laborers faced. Esperanza Rising is an excellent book that can be read for individual pleasure, but more, it is an exceptional book to use in a classroom setting. A variety of important, pertinent discussion topics can be covered throughout the reading of this quality novel. I recommend it to any elementary teacher.

4 comments:

  1. I love stories that teach me about parts of life that I don't experience, such as the life of a Mexican farm laborer in California during the Great Depression! The picture on the front cover is captivating as well and would definitely be enough to lure me into picking up this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also intrigued by the cover and your summary. Makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's family, both his Mexican side and the white side, worked the fields. I'd love to read this. I'd like my daughter, who is part Mexican, to have the example of a strong Latina character. Thank you for the recommendation. Also history is not my strong suit so it can always use some brushing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though this book is officially historical fiction, it really reads like a modern-day novel. It is definitely a good view of what can happen in a society where women are pretty powerless. It's also sort of a reverse 'Cinderella' story. Thanks Casimer.

    ReplyDelete