Saturday, September 18, 2010

Annie's Book Share



The most popular books in my school are the Olivia books written by Ian Falconer. The Olivia series has 5 books so far, a webpage http://www.oliviathepiglet.com/ , a US Postal Service Stamp and a TV show on Nick Jr. The books are about a mischievous piglet named Olivia, her family, and her common childhood adventures.

I have found these books encourage reluctant readers to begin reading. The students feel like they get to know Olivia and want to read more about her and her adventures. It seems like once they attach to one book character like the cute piglet they are able to move to new characters like Skippy Jon Jones or Fancy Nancy and then onto books like Junie B. Jones and beyond.

4 comments:

  1. My kindergartners love the Olivia books. In my class, this series is like Lays Potato Chips -- you can't read just one. Students quickly become engaged by this very energetic character. And the illustrations are visually appealing -- vivid red highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of these but they sound great. Ironically, just a minute ago I read that a friend of mine just had a baby girl and named her Olivia, so you've given me a great idea for a gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the Olivia books! My kindergarteners couldn't get enough of them. My kids especially loved "Olivia Forms a Band." These books are so entertaining and the illustrations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved the illustrations the most about the books, but my biggest Olivia fan is a visually impaired student in my class who cannot see the illustrations but loves Olivia to pieces.

    ReplyDelete