Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Paige's Book Share

One book I would recommend for third or fourth grader is From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg.  The story is about a brother and sister who are tired of their boring everyday life and decide to run away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The brother and sister get involved with an art mystery and the book follows all of the aspects of their adventure.  Great book if you are planning on going to a museum for a field trip.  Originally published in 1967 and won the Newberry Medal for excellence in American's Children's Literature in 1968.  I read this book in fourth grade and continue to see children in third and fourth grade now be excited about this book. 
                                                                                                              

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff...Konigsburg. I have my third graders read this book as well, from time to time. I also think kids love the idea of living in a museum. I think a lot of children wonder what it would be like to love in a certain place, like a museum, or zoo, or mall. It truly fires up the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book, but remember in school when another class read it, and the kids were buzzing about it. To me, a museum is an eerie place. Somewhere I love to visit during the day, but wouldn't want to be there after dark. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the cover of this book many times but have never taken the time to read a bit to see what it is all about. What a wonderful book to read before going to a museum, or in the case of my students to teach them about museums, since most have never been to one.

    ReplyDelete