Thursday, September 16, 2010


This is a picture book I used to use with my middle school students. I think it is appropriate for all ages, but high school students might think it is babyish--they can surprise me though! It is about a family who is celebrating Veterans Day by participating in a tradition that was started in the dining halls of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force after the Vietnam War ended. The mother tells her three daughters about how their Uncle John was a POW in Vietnam; she also tells them about the white table and the significance of all the items placed on it. I use this on Veteran's Day, and afterwards I have my students write letters to veterans thanking them for their service. This provides the opportunity to teach them about the parts of friendly letter. Also, one of the teacher's I taught with previously is a veteran and he used to take them to the VA hospital for me. It is also a great way to introduce symbolism because each item on the white table is a symbol for something. It is a very sweet book and I usually get a little teary eyed when I read it. As I was looking for an image, I also found the below website that had TONS of ideas for ways to use this book, including some cross-curricular. I only skimmed it, but saw a few things I thought were interesting. This book would also be appropriate on Nationa POW/MIA Day, which I just learned is the 3rd Friday in September (tomorrow!). Obviously not a lot of notice, but you could still get it in time for Veteran's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment