Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ben's Resource Share

I am sharing http://www.biguniverse.com/

This is a website that I have been playing with for a while. It offers hundreds of online books to be read from over 24 different publishers. The books range from non-fiction books to classics such as Moby Dick. It is a resource that could help to reach reluctant readers by offering a different medium in which to read those books. This could be a resource that allows kids who are more into technology than reading to get hooked on books.

Big Universe also includes a writing component that allows students to write and publish their own works on the web so they can be read by others.

To completely use this site, a fee must be paid and they have rates for single classrooms, or group rates for full schools. Without paying the fee, you still have access to the books to read including the ones written by kids.

In using this site, I have enjoyed the large quantities of non-fiction literature that they provide. I also like how some of the classic novels are put into a graphic novel form. They add more pictures for context clues and understanding. I believe there are several great starting books on here for struggling readers, or even ELL students.

1 comment:

  1. I should have said that I signed up for the temporary subscription before I started playing with the site. I am not sure how much more I can access because of that subscription.

    ReplyDelete