Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jevy Lenderman's Book Share

Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners, is an awesome way to introduce young children to having good manners. This book teaches children about being kind, friendly, honest, and considerate in an extremely fun and light hearted way. It all begins when Mr. Rabbit gets new neighbors which happen to be otters. He is told by a wise owl to “do unto otters as you would have otters do unto you.” Mr. Rabbit and the Otters try to live out these rules and treat each other the way they want to be treated. Kids will also learn how to say phrases such as “please” and “thank you” in other languages like German and French. Kids will love this book because of the silly characters and colorful illustrations. Children will learn about the Golden Rule of treating others the way you want to be treated. This is an excellent book for building a mannerly and encouraging classroom environment with your students. It’s a must read!!!

5 comments:

  1. I need to purchase this book! Manners are so extremely important to me. Especially in the classroom, this might be a first time kids are in a social situations dealing with other children their age and an authority figure who is not their parents. Also, some kids parents might not have such an emphasis on manners so I would consider it up to teachers to help in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, and yet so important. I have come to believe that "The Golden Rule" is really the simplest way to explain how we should behave, yet the hardest for kids and adults to commit to. It would be a great book for starting a school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to get this book! Up to this point I have been taking on the rules of etiquette one at a time in the literary sense. Just haven't found a read aloud on manners that appeals to me. The story sounds engaging and entertaining. And kids also love learning words in different languages. Thanks so much for posting this book, Jevy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used this book with my students and they loved it. It teaches the concepts very well while keeping the engagement high. Great book to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe...Do unto Otters. That sounds really cute and would be a good one to read to my boys. The only manners I taught my students was through the poem, "The Goops." Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely look this one up!

    ReplyDelete